Week 4 Learning Journal
Education goals
Today I am going to attempt to set down my education goals with clarity and confidence. I am currently enrolled at a university, CSUMB to be exact, something I never really thought I would actually do. For a long time, I thought the chance to attend college had passed me by. Returning now, after so much time away, feels not only possible but deeply encouraging.
My primary educational goal is to earn my bachelor's degree. It represents more than a diploma; it is proof to myself that persistence pays off and that it is never too late to take charge of my future. Each class I complete brings me closer to this milestone, and with every assignment I submit, I feel a renewed sense of purpose. The challenges remind me that growth comes through effort, and I welcome the opportunity to push myself further.
What makes this experience especially meaningful is the perspective I bring with me now. Coming back to school as an adult means I am more focused, more determined, and more aware of why this matters. I am not just studying to pass; I am studying to succeed, to build skills that will serve me for a long time.
Earning my bachelor's degree is no longer a distant dream; it is a concrete goal I know I will accomplish. This journey isn't simply about education; it is about the determination to follow through.
Career goals
As I think about where I would like my career to go, I'd like to jot it down clearly because putting it down on paper makes it feel tangible. My ultimate aim is to become a software engineer, specifically in something relating to research and development. What excites me most about this path is the opportunity to push boundaries and create solutions that don't exist today, but shape what's possible.
I have always been drawn to problem-solving, and engineering feels like the perfect place to apply that passion. The research and development side appeals to me because it blends creativity with technical skill. It is about asking what if and then building something that answers that question. It isn't just following existing patterns, but designing new ones, and that challenge drives me.
Within this field, I want to focus especially on building interfaces. To me, interfaces are the bridge between people and technology. It's where abstract systems become real, usable, and meaningful. Designing and building interfaces means not only writing code but also thinking about how people interact with what is built. Interfaces require creativity, empathy, and precision, and I am eager to develop all three. This career path is a chance to contribute to innovation while staying true to what I am passionate about. Every step in school, and every sharpened skill, is laying the foundation for this.
ETS Computer Science Test
The ETS test is 18 months away, but I already feel mostly confident about it. My goal is to score at least an 80%, and I believe I can achieve it. It's not just wishful thinking; I feel like my persistence will carry me through. I've always been the type to keep pushing, even when things get tough, and I think that determination will push me to get through all the material necessary to get a good score on the test.
Another reason I feel sure about this is the knowledge I already have. Some of the material on the test is not completely new to me, and having that foundation, I feel, gives me a head start. Instead of starting from zero, I can build on what I know, fill in the gaps, and keep practicing.
Though eighteen months is a long time, I think it works in my favor. I don't have to cram or rush; I can pace myself, set small goals along the way, and stay consistent. I know if I stick with it, the 80% is well within my reach.
Reflection
This week has been interesting. Looking back over my recent entries about education, career, and the upcoming test, I realize the clarity I've gained about my goals. Writing them down has made me feel more confident in my path, whether it's earning my degree, pursuing a career goal, or preparing for the test. Persistence and focus really feel like my strongest tools.
One more thing I'd like to mention is how all the ethics material has sparked a lot of internal dialogue for me. The material in class and the research material I have read show how tough it is to take a firm stance on complex issues. My paper relates the ethical implications of implantable brain-computer interfaces, and it isn't really that simple; every argument comes with layers, nuances, and consequences that I had not fully considered before. Engaging with the material has really provided some perspective on how to approach complex problems more thoughtfully.

Hello Edward,
ReplyDeleteI am inspired by your determination to graduate from this program. Compared to my education goals and many others, your pathway represents a drive from within. I think building interfaces as a career goal is excellent as a good interface can enable non-tech people to leverage computers better.
Great job, keep it up!
It is inspiring to see someone like me who return to attending college after a long time. It makes me feel like I belong to a group of community who struggles and tries to make it. Returning to college after time away shows resilience and maturity. It is also great for you to see bachelor's degree as a proof of growth rather than just an academic achievement, in which I agree. Your career goal to become an frontend engineer is equally impressive. I never look frontend development as a bridge between user and developers but with your statement I was moved. It just show that you care about the user and their experience which is our goal at the of the day.
ReplyDeleteYou have expressed your education and career goals with clarity and genuine motivation, showing strong perseverance and purpose in returning to school. In my opinion, to strengthen your career direction, consider narrowing your focus toward a specific path such as front-end development, UX or UI engineering, or something related to AI industry. Targeting a clear specialty will help you build the right technical skills and certifications such as React, UX design principles, or the Google UX certificate so you can enter the field with confidence and a strong professional foundation.
ReplyDelete