Week 6 Learning Journal

Capstone Idea Discussion

This week, our team met to discuss potential ideas for our upcoming capstone project. We began by sharing some of the concepts we had previously recorded in our individual journals. It definitely led to a mostly thoughtful and productive exchange of ideas. During the meeting, I introduced my med-tech project concept, which focuses on applying technology to improve medical or health-related outcomes. I did comment on the hardware portion being a problem, and they agreed that it may be difficult to follow through on that. It may be worth pursuing, however. One of my teammates brought a very compelling idea, which I thought was worth exploring. It involves building a rating system app designed for food pantries. The purpose of the app would be to help people in need, identify, review, and share feedback about local food pantries, which could greatly benefit communities by promoting transparency and improving access to reliable resources. From a technical perspective, this project would be fairly ambitious, as it would need to be scalable, maintainable, and supported by a robust database structure and solid architectural design to handle potentially large amounts of user data. However, from a social standpoint, it presents an altruistic opportunity to make a meaningful difference in people's lives. We all agreed that a project like this not only offers valuable technical challenges but also aligns with a broader mission of social good.

CST 338 - Software Design

The syllabus for CST 338 gave me a clear picture of what to expect from the class. It is a 4-unit course that dives deep into OOP using Java and Android Studio. The focus is on learning how to design and develop larger software systems, using concepts like inheritance, interfaces, abstraction, and design patterns. It also covers the full software development process, from planning and analysis to implementation.

The syllabus makes it clear that this class will be fast-paced and demanding, with frequent quizzes, labs, and programming assignments. There are no late submissions allowed, which is definitely something to keep in mind, so staying organized will be crucial. I appreciate that the course emphasizes real world programming and encourages professionalism, especially in communication. Even though it sounds challenging, I'm excited to sharpen my Java skills, learn Android development, and get hands-on experience creating actual applications. It feels like a great step toward becoming a more capable software developer. 

Reflection On the Week's Material

After reviewing the material, I reflected on some of the personal and professional skills I already have and identified areas where I can continue to grow. I learned some qualities I already possess, such as dependability, problem-solving, proactivity, flexibility, and the ability to learn quickly. These are all valuable strengths; however, I also realized and recognized that I need to improve in some other areas. Communication, teamwork, and confidence to become a more effective collaborator and leader. I also spent some time exploring the career page, where I learned a lot about the graduate school application process. The most helpful part was the detailed breakdown of steps for each year in school, which gave me a clearer picture of what I need to do to prepare, especially since I transferred and didn't get the opportunity to complete the earlier milestones during my freshman and sophomore years. Having worked for a few years, I already have some experience crafting resumes, but it was a good reminder to evaluate what might be missing. The action verbs sheet, in particular, was a helpful resource for strengthening how I describe my accomplishments. Lastly, I really enjoyed watching the technical interview example; it provided valuable insight into how critical thinking is demonstrated in real-time. I especially appreciated how the interviewee wrote out their thought process in plain English before writing any actual code. It shows the importance of structured problem-solving during interviews.
















































Comments

Popular Posts